Brendan and I are training for a triathalon this summer! I have wanted to do one since I was in college, but never actually considered it since life was full of school, getting married, having kids, etc. And then a few months ago Brendan told me that he wanted to do one. So I have been training the last few weeks with him (well, "with him" in spirit...it's practically impossible to actually work out together) and have discovered a few things along the way:
#1 I can run! I did track for one season in high school and was a sprinter. If I ran longer than 100 meters, I (silently) complained. I have always hated running long distance, and questioned how in the world my sister could run a marathon (twice!). The secret, for me, is running by myself. I am accountable to myself, and to a triathalon training book. I have no one pushing me, which usually makes me wimp out and just stop running. So, as a result, I have run up to 4 miles the last few Sundays, and last night I went out running after a full day of being with the kids, and ended up running almost non-stop for an hour. Pretty cool.
#2 I love working out "by the book". When the book says to do something, I do it. I decided to see how well I can do an actual triathalon if I do the training for it. It would be too easy to skip a day (or many days) here and there, or do a shorter workout, and then blame a wimpy triathalon race on that fact. If I am going to invest any time, energy, and money into this then I had better give it my all. I am definitely feeling optimistic right now, but I know life will come back with a vengeance and then I may feel differently.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Rock on Hannah and Brendan. I am dually impressed. I know how difficult it is to do it "by the book" because I there is always something distracting or urgent keeping us from our goals. I call myself the "not-real-runner" because I like to run but do NOT love it.
What triathlon are you going to participate in?
Post a Comment