Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sharing a Room- Pros and Cons

We have had Gene and Lucy in the same room since before Janie was born, and right now I am very frustrated with it. It's another one of those things I grew up thinking was great- sure, have all your kids share rooms...they'll learn how to share their stuff and their space...I did it for my younger years at least (we had three girls in one room for a while)...it will be good for them. What they don't tell you is how extremely frustrating it is when they are young and both in there together! They wake each other up in the morning, taking turns being the first to wake, and the result is at least one less-than-100% kid for the rest of the day (at least until nap time). We have a fan in the room to make some white noise, but it doesn't seem to matter. Am I just wanting too much? Kids have a much better chance of having a good day if they get enough sleep, but also if they are allowed to wake up on their own. Just think how you feel in the morning hearing the alarm go off, and how much different it is to wake up slowly and listen to the birds (just starting to come back to Michigan...though the first one we've heard is a crow...) I want the same for my kids, but I guess it just isn't feasible right now. Or, as a friend of mine does with her kids, I could train them to stay in bed absolutely quietly until I come to get them...I wonder if I could...?

No comments: